Do you have a custom URL or Google+ web address for your Google+ personal profile or business page?
For instance, plus.google.com/+SueCockburn (personal profile) or plus.google.com/+GrowingSocialBiz (business page or listing)?
If you haven’t yet created a Google+ web address for your page or profile, do so now. If you still use the ‘Classic Google+ view’ you have the opportunity to create a branded web address for your account. Once you switch over to the ‘new Google+’ view you won’t be able to do this within the new view. , The ‘new Google+’ states “You can’t use custom URLs for profile pages in the new Google+.”
However, you can, at least for now, switch your account back to ‘classic Google’+ to create your branded web address and then once you’ve set your web address you can move back to the ‘new Google+’ view, taking your branded web address along with you.
How to Create a Google+ Web Address in New Google+
As noted, you can’t create a Google+ web address in ‘new Google+’. However, you can switch back to ‘Classic Google+, at least for now, to create your branded Google+ web address there. Once you’ve created your web address in Google+ Classic, you can then switch back to the ‘new Google+’ and your web address will remain as the address for your Google+ profile.
How to Create a Google+ Web Address in Classic Google+
A quick note of caution before you create your Google+ web address, be CERTAIN you are clear about the name you want to secure for your address before you click the ‘Confirm’ button!
Once created and confirmed, you won’t be allowed to change the name or words in the address.
You will be able to change which letters in each word are capitalized (be sure to title case your name or business name when you create the address). You can also change which letters have accents.
But remember, the option to create a branded Google+ web address s may only be available for a limited time. Google may decide to remove this option at any time.
Here is the process for creating a custom URL or Google+ web address in classic Google+ on a computer.
Google recommends you use a computer instead of a mobile device to get your custom URL.
Using a Computer …
1. Open Google+.
2. In the top left corner, click the drop-down menu > click Profile.
3. Under your photo and profile summary, click About.
4. Scroll to “Links” section > find the header “Google+ URL > click Get URL.
5. You’ll see the custom URLs you can choose from. You may also need to add a few letters or numbers to make it unique to you.
6. Next to “I agree to the Terms of Service,” click the box > in the bottom left corner, click Change URL.
7. You may be asked to verify your account using your mobile phone number. If you’re asked to do this:
a) Type your mobile phone number > in the lower left corner, click Send code.
b) Check your phone for the code that was sent to you.
c) Enter that code in the box on your screen, then in the lower left corner, click Verify.
8. When you’re ready to permanently add your URL to your profile, click Confirm choice.
Rules for Getting a Custom URL or Google+ Web Address
There are a few rules to keep in mind when you’re trying to get a custom URL. If you’re having trouble, make sure:
- You have ten or more followers (people who have added you to their circles)
- Your account is at least 30 days old
- Your profile has a profile photo
- Your account is in good standing
Wondering whether Google+ is a waste of time? Remember that Google is the #1 search engine in the world! While Google+ may seem to be trailing behind Facebook, it is evolving and is likely to become something quite unlike Facebook but equally, or even more, powerful.